Wednesday, February 17, 2010

4/101 #92 - Donate blood 4 times

Donating blood is an important thing. Did you know that fewer than 5% of folks living in the U.S. donate blood each year? Part of the reason - only 38% of the population is eligible to donate blood. I'm eligible. I should do it more.

So I gave blood yesterday. My first of four planned donations during these 1001 days. I really have no reason for the fact that I am pretty sure this is the first time I have given blood since I joined the hospital system that employs me. I've been here 4.5 years. That's pathetic. The only excuse I have is for almost two of those years I was either pregnant or nursing my baby. But what about the other 2.5? I have no excuse.

Alas - since I put this on my goal list, I had eaten breakfast yesterday, and the hospital made it so easy they were collecting blood in my building (which is not connected to the hospital), I decided yesterday was a perfect day.

I was reminded about the humilation factor that can come when you are evaluated for "eligibility." If you've never given blood, you might be interested to know that they ask if you are a man that has had sex with a man. Then they ask if you are a woman who has had sex with a man who has sex with a man. They ask you about your recent STD experiences including gonorrhea and I think syphillis.

You also have to have a blood content above a certain amount, iron levels at a certain amount, etc.

It was also interesting that I have wonderful blood pressure (112/77 and a heart rate of 59) but then the guy sort of indicated my job must be easy because my BP wasn't high. (Are you saying that because I'm pleasantly plump I can't possibly be healthy on the inside? You're lucky I was calm and relaxed or you might have been slapped, dude!).

Anyway, it's a pretty invasive process. But if I were ever to have a blood transfusion, I guess I'd be thankful they did a thorough check!

When I went to lay down on the table, I of course got the nurse who could not find my vein to save her life. She had to call someone over, and both of them dug around in my arm trying to find my vein while I winced and almost peed my pants. They did offer to stop but I told them to just find it already! (Sort of reminds me of my birthing experience when I told the doctor to quit washing his hands, use Purell, and get that baby out of me!) Eventually they poked just right and the blood started flowing.

Once they got the vein started it wasn't a big deal. A little uncomfortable, but not painful. And I had my handy blackberry so I surfed facebook and returned emails with my mad one-handed texting skillz until it was over.

Then I got a T-shirt I would likely never wear except I need a longsleeve one to go walking. And I got a keychain that has a countdown until the next time I am eligible to give blood.

Now that is a good prize. Guilt works wonders with me - just ask my mom! (Shout out to ya Mom! Just seeing if you're reading!). My friend Mila told me once that she was sure I was Catholic with all the guilt I carry around. A few months later she said to scratch Catholic - I must be Jewish. I'm not either so I'm just going on her observations, but it's the effective motivator for me for sure.

When I see the countdown zeroed out I should feel pretty guilty. This is my first time donating when I could have given at least 20 times or more by now. So 55 days from now or soon thereafter you should see a 4.2/101 post with my next experience. Or else I've lost the keychain, I imagine.

Hopefully the next donation will be pretty uneventful as well. I'll pay close attention though so I have something interesting to write about.

2 comments:

  1. I've never given blood myself (the idea actually freaks me out -- I don't do very well with blood OR hospitals, I'm afraid.) I have heard, however, that even if I wanted to give some, I couldn't because I lived in the UK for a short while (UST study abroad) and ate the meat there during the mad cow epidemic. Interesting, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent website! I adore how it is easy on my eyes it is. I am questioning how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. Looking for more new updates. Have a great day! recurring donations

    ReplyDelete